Our Own Classic Bolognese Meat Sauce
Boy Oh Boy! A really thick and rich meat sauce that will win over anyone!
Everything You Will Need:
- 2 1/2 tablespoons of virgin olive oil
- 6 tablespoons of butter
- 4 teaspoons of crushed or chopped garlic
- 1 3/4 cups of onion (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup of carrots (finely chopped)
- 1/3 cup of celery (finely chopped)
- 4 ounces of bacon (chopped)
- 3/4 pound of fresh Italian sausage (removed from the casings)
- 1/2 pound of lean beefsteak (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup Marsala wine
- 1 tablespoon of fresh basil (chopped)
- 1/2 tablespoon of dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon of fresh nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 28 ounce can of peeled and diced tomatoes (in juice)
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1/4 pound of mushrooms (chopped)
- 1/2 cup of fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1 pound of pasta (Mostaccíolli or Rigatoni goes great with this sauce)
- Parmesan or Romano cheese (grated)
/?php comments_template(); ?>
- Heat the olive oil and one-half of the butter in a large frying pan.
- Add the garlic, onion, carrot, celery and bacon.
- Cook over low heat for about four or five minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the sausage meat and chopped beef.
- Raise the heat and sauté for eight to ten minutes or until the meat just begins to brown, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon to crumble the meat.
- Add the Marsala wine and stir in the basil, oregano, the nutmeg. Season to taste with salt and ground pepper.
- Mix in the sugar, the tomatoes in their juice and the tomato paste.
- Reduce the heat to low, stir thoroughly, and let simmer for thirty minutes, uncovered.
- Separately, sauté the mushrooms in the remaining butter along with the parsley.
- Mix the sautéd mushrooms into the sauce. Reduce the heat enough to keep warm until serving.
- Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package.
- Drain the pasta in a colander and return back to the pot.
- Add the sauce and gently mix together. Add salt and pepper to taste. Place in a warm serving dish, serve hot, and top with cheese.