Fresh Tomato & Sausage Soup
Summer, Winter, Spring or Fall, this one’s good for all.
Everything You Will Need:
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- 4 cups of fresh, ripe tomatoes (peeled, seeded and chopped)
- 1 cup of celery (finely chopped)
- 1 small cauliflower (chopped)
- 1/2 cup of carrots (grated)
- 1 1/2 cups of onion (chopped)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 cup of fresh basil leaves (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 8 ounces of heavy cream
- Sour cream
- A few fresh basil leaves (for garnish)
/?php comments_template(); ?>
- In a large pot, combine the chicken broth, one-half of the tomatoes, one-half of the celery, all of the cauliflower, the carrot, onion, bay leaf, about six of the basil leaves, the sugar, and the salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for twenty minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf and purée the soup in a blender until completely smooth
- Return the soup to the pot.
- In a medium-sized skillet, cook the sausage in the olive oil over medium heat for six or seven minutes stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon to crumble the sausage.
- Drain off any liquid.
- Add the butter and the remaining tomatoes and celery to the sausage, and continue to cook for another six or seven minutes.
- Add the sausage mixture and the cream to the soup.
- Stir and heat the soup briefly for serving (but do NOT boil!).
- Serve with a spoon of sour cream and garnish with a basil leaf.