Delicious On Thanksgiving Or Any Special Occasion. Spicy or mild, either our original family sausage recipes work phenomenally with this stuffing recipe developed by our team.
Everything you Will Need To Stuff A 12 lb. Bird, And Plenty Extra For The Family:
- 1 1/2 lbs pounds Mild Italian Sausage or Hot Italian Sausage
- 1 (12oz) box of your favorite Stuffing Mix
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can drained artichoke hearts coarsely chopped
- 1 1/4 cup chicken broth (if stuffing in bird use ¾ cups)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded fresh parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cups fresh chopped celery
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and ground pepper to taste
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and stir occasionally with a wooden spoon to crumble the sausage cook for about 5 minutes. Add onions, celery, and garlic. Sauté until celery is soft, about 10 minutes. Mix in artichokes, thyme and sauté 2 minutes longer. Transfer sausage mixture to a large bowl and then add stuffing mix, toss to blend well, mix in cheese, then chicken broth. Season with salt and pepper.
To bake stuffing in dish:
Preheat oven to 350F. Generously butter 13x9x2 inch glass baking dish then add stuffing mixture to the dish. Cover with buttered foil, buttered side down. Bake until heated through, about 40 minutes. Uncover and bake until the top is slightly crisp and golden about 20 minutes longer.
To bake stuffing in the bird:
Just before cooking the turkey, stuff the body and neck cavity, leaving a little room for expansion. Skewer or sew the openings. Cook the turkey according to instructions on the turkey packaging, our use your favorite recipe.