Sicilian Meat Roll
“Braciole” in Italian.
Everything You Will Need:
- 1/4 cup of Parmesan or Romano cheese grated)
- 1/8 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup of fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1 fresh egg
- 1/2 pound of fresh Italian sausage (removed from the casings)
- 1 1ﬁ to 2 pound thin flank steak (as wide as possible)
- 4 thin slices of Black Forest ham
- 1 small carrot (sliced in fourths, lengthwise)
- 1 celery stalk (sliced in half, lengthwise)
- 2 slices of Provolone cheese
- 2 eggs (hard boiled & sliced in fourths)
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 2 medium onions (sliced)
- 3/4 cup of red wine
- Kitchen string
/?php comments_template(); ?>
- In a large bowl, combine the Parmesan or Romano cheese, nutmeg, salt, pepper, parsley, egg and sausage. Mix well by hand.
- Pound out the flank steak to a nice rectangular shape.
- Spread the sausage mixture over the steak, out to about an inch from the edges.
- Lay the ham slices over the sausage mixture.
- Lay the carrot lengthwise across the filling, on top of the ham, then lay the celery along side the carrot in the same manner.
- Roll the slices of Provolone cheese, and place the rolls end to end along side the carrot.
- Lay the egg slices over the center length of the meat roll.
- Tightly roll up the meat and tie it together in five or six places. (Tip: Cut about six pieces of string, fourteen to fifteen inches long, then lay them out. Set the meat roll over them. It helps to have an assistant put a finger on the knot!)
- Wipe the entire roll with about one-half of the olive oil.
- Sprinkle the roll with the salt and pepper.
- Wipe the bottom of a shallow nine by thirteen inch glass baking dish with the remaining olive oil.
- Put the onion slices in the dish.
- Place the meat roll on a rack in the dish.
- Pour the wine over the meat roll.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Roast the meat roll for one and one-half hours, basting occasionally with olive oil and its own juices.
- When the meat roll is done cooking, remove the string and let stand for only a couple of minutes.
- Slice the roll into one inch pieces.
- Serve with a spoonful of the onions and a side of Orange Salad.