Sausage & Tortilla Pie
What can we say but….Olé!
- ½ – pound of fresh Italian sausage (removed from casings)
- 1 – tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 – tablespoon of butter
- 6 – corn tortillas (torn into strips)
- 1 – 8 ounce can of chopped green chilies
- 1½ – cups of Monterey jack cheese (grated)
- ¼ – cup of green onion (chopped)
- 2¼ – ounces of black olives (sliced)
- 4 – eggs
- ¼ – cup of buttermilk
- ¼ – teaspoon of crushed or chopped garlic
- ¼ – teaspoon of salt
- ¼ – teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ – teaspoon of chili powder
- ¼ – teaspoon of crushed chili pepper
- ¼ – teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1 – fresh, ripe tomato (sliced)
- – paprika
- – whole black olives, sour cream, and salsa (for garnish)
/?php comments_template(); ?>
Traditional family pork recipe seasoned with fresh blend of natural ingredients.
A Day Before Serving:
- In a small frying pan, cook the sausage in the olive oil over medium heat for ten to twelve minutes, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon to crumble the sausage.
- Drain off any liquid and set the sausage aside.
- Butter the interior of a round or square two quart baking dish.
- Line the bottom & the sides of the dish with a little over one-half of the tortilla strips.
- Spread one-half of the chilies evenly on top of the tortilla strips.
- Spread one-half of the sausage evenly on top of the chilies.
- Spread one-half of the cheese evenly on top of the sausage.
- Spread one-half of the green onion evenly on top of the cheese.
- Spread one-half of the olives evenly on top of the green onion.
- Cover with the remaining tortilla strips.
- Spread the remaining one-half of the ingredients in layers, as in the steps above.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, garlic, salt, black pepper, chili powder, crushed chili pepper and cumin until they are blended well.
- Pour the eggs over the top of the ingredients in the baking dish.
- Arrange the tomato slices on top and dust over with the paprika.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove the covering from the baking dish.
- Bake the pie at 350 degrees for fifty-five to sixty minutes (do NOT preheat the oven), until the edges are lightly browned and the center is set.
- Cut the pie into four servings. Top each tomato with a black olive and serve with salsa and sour cream.
The Day Of Serving: