Delicious On Thanksgiving Or Any Special Occasion
Everything you Will Need To Stuff A 12 lb. Bird, And Plenty Extra For The Family:
- 2/3 cup of butter
- 1 pound of Papa Cantella’s mild, hot or turkey Italian sausage (removed from the casings)
- 1 cup of onion (finely chopped)
- 1 cup of celery (diced)
- 12 ounces of your favorite dry seasoned stuffing mix
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 1 fresh egg (beaten)
- 1/2 cup of parsley (chopped)
- 1/3 cup of sun dried tomatoes (packed in oil) (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon of dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon of poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- garlic salt to taste
- freshly ground pepper to taste
Melt the butter in a six quart stock pot, then add the sausage, onion, and celery. Cook over medium-high heat for ten minutes, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon to crumble the sausage. Turn off the heat. Add the dry stuffing mix, chicken broth, egg, parsley, sun dried tomatoes, dry mustard, poultry seasoning and black pepper, then mix thoroughly.
Optional- in turkey cooking:
Just before cooking the turkey, stuff the body and neck cavity, leaving a little room for expansion. Skewer or sew the openings. Rub the outside of the turkey with the olive oil, then sprinkle lightly with garlic salt and ground pepper.
Cook the turkey according to the instructions on the packaging, or use your favorite method. Place the remaining dressing in a greased casserole dish, cover with foil, and bake for the last forty-five minutes of cooking the turkey.