Sausage & Egg Casserole
Fresh and light, this is great for breakfast or brunch.
- 1/2 pound of fresh Italian sausage (removed from the casings)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 4 slices of white bread (crust removed)
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup of fresh, ripe tomatoes (diced)
- 4 ounces of fresh mushrooms (sliced)
- 1/2 cup of fresh zucchini (diced)
- 1/2 cup of Monterey jack cheese (grated)
- 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese (grated)
/?php comments_template(); ?>
A Day Before Serving:
- In a small frying pan, cook the sausage in the olive oil over medium heat for about ten to twelve minutes, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon to crumble the sausage.
- Butter the bottom and sides of a two quart baking dish.
- Line the bottom of the dish with white bread.
- Spread the sausage evenly over the bread.
- In a medium-sized bowl, beat the eggs, milk, salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper.
- Stir into the eggs the tomatoes, mushrooms, and zucchini.
- Pour the mixture over the sausage.
- Top with the cheeses.
- Cover the mixture and refrigerate overnight.
- The Day Of Serving:
Place the casserole in the oven and bake at 350 degrees (do NOT preheat the oven) on the center rack for fifty-five to sixty minutes, until the edges are lightly browned and the center is set.
- Serve hot.