Sausage Caesar Salad
This is the best. Caesar would be proud of this one!
Everything You Will Need:
- 1 large head of Romaine lettuce
- 2 cups of homemade croutons
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 1/4 cup of fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 1 teaspoon crushed or chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon of dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon of worcestershire sauce
- 1 large egg
- 1 pound fresh Italian sausage links
- 1/2 cup of Parmesan or Romano cheese (grated)
- 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
/?php comments_template(); ?>
- Wash and tear the lettuce into pieces.
- Put the lettuce into a colander lined with paper towels, and place the colander in the refrigerator.
- Make the homemade croutons.
To Make The Dressing:
- Whisk the olive oil, lemon juice, anchovy paste, minced garlic, dijon mustard, nutmeg and worcestershire sauce in a small bowl until it is well blended.
- Bring about one quart of water to a boil in a small pan.
- Gently place the egg in the boiling water with tongs, and continue to boil over high heat for one minute only.
- Remove the egg and cool under cold running water.
- Carefully break the egg and add the yolk only to the dressing.
- Whisk the egg into the dressing until smooth, and set the dressing aside in the refrigerator.
To Make The Salad:
- Broil the sausage for fifteen to eighteen minutes, turing occasionally, until done.
- Cut the sausage diagonally into one-fourth to one-half inch, bite-sized pieces.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the lettuce, enough dressing to coat the lettuce well, and black pepper.
- Mix together well.
- Saving a little for later, add the cheese and toss the salad again.
- Add the sausage and croutons and toss the salad again.
- Serve immediately while sausage is warm.