Roasted Turkey & Sausage Roll
Fasten your seatbelts! This is a “hands-on” recipe from start to finish. Don’t even THINK about trying this one without an assistant! An unforgettable meal well worth the effort!
Everything You Will Need:
- 1 5 pound boneless turkey breast (in one piece, with skin)
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup of butter (let temper for about 15 minutes before using)
- 1/2 pound of fresh Italian sausage (removed from the casings)
- 1/4 cup of olive oil ground pepper medley
- Garlic salt
- Kitchen string
/?php comments_template(); ?>
- Neatly bone (or have your butcher do it) a turkey breast (in one piece) to net about five pounds.
- Remove and save the skin in one large piece.
- Lay the breast out and pound it to an even thickness, pushing the sides to form a rectangular piece. Lay the breast on it’s back side with the cut side up.
- Spread the butter over the breast, then sprinkle on the oregano, salt, and black pepper.
- Crumble on the Italian sausage.
- Neatly and tightly roll the breast, cover it with the skin, and tie it together in five or six places. (Tip: Cut about six pieces of string fourteen to fifteen inches long, and lay them out. Set the turkey roll over them. It helps to have an assistant put a finger on the knot, but really, it’s not as difficult as it might sound!)
- Rub the roll thoroughly with the olive oil. Sprinkle on the pepper medley and garlic salt to taste.
- Place the turkey roll on a roast rack and put into a nine by thirteen inch glass baking dish.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Roast for about one and one-half hour, brushing or basting occasionally with its own juices.
- When the turkey roll is finished roasting, test it with a roast-meat thermometer which, in the center the breast, should read 168 to 170 degrees.
- Let the roasted turkey roll stand for just a couple of minutes before carving.
- Cut into one inch slices and serve hot.