Conchipacho a.k.a. Cowboy Beans & Sausage Over Perfect White Rice
Everything You Will Need:
- 1 cup of dried black beans
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 1/2 cups of onion (chopped)
- 1/4 cup of green onion (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon of crushed or chopped garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 5 1/2 cups of water
- 1 1/2 cups of chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon of rubbed sage
- 1 pound of fresh Italian sausage(removed from the casings)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 portion of perfect white rice
/?php comments_template(); ?>
A Day Before Serving:
Soak the beans in enough water to cover them by a couple of inches or so, cover and let stand overnight.
The Day Of Serving:
- In a medium-sized pot, melt the butter.
- Add the onion, green onions, the garlic, and cook for six to eight minutes over medium heat.
- Add the beans, salt, black pepper, oregano, sage, the water, and the chicken broth. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, and simmer, uncovered, for two hours, stirring occasionally.
- When the beans have been simmering for about one hour and fifteen minutes, cook the sausage in the olive oil in a small skillet for about ten to twelve minutes, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon to crumble the sausage.
- When the beans have been cooking for one and one-half hours, add in the sausage and continue to simmer for another one-half hour.
- Prepare the white rice according to the recipe.
- Place each serving of rice in a deep dish.
- Top the rice with a ladle of conchipacho and sausage and serve hot.